Use of secondary structure in alignments

Diane Stothard dstothar at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Tue May 21 07:34:51 EST 1996

I was wondering what the consensus feeling is in this group for using secondary
structure as a guide for aligning rRNA gene sequences. I personally feel it is
necessary in order to insure comparison of homologous sites, but I have met
many people that do not believe in secondary structures and therefore, align
their sequences randomly (i.e., by base letter). I would especially appreciate
the development of secondary structure models.

Thanks!
Diane