FW: Miller Spark Discharge Experiment

Moody, Scott Moody at SMTP-MAIL.OUCOM.OHIOU.EDU
Wed May 22 09:35:24 EST 1996

Subject: RE: Miller Spark Discharge Experiment
Date: Wednesday, May 22, 1996 10:27AM

Dear Ian (and others),

     I know a teacher at Northern Michigan University in Marquette, Michigan
(Dr. Don Snitgen of the Biology Department) who did this in a high school
biology class before he obtained a Ph.D. and became a professor.  The
results are quite stunning and will make a VERY strong impression on your
students.

     I concur with the below message about being VERY sure to keep the O2
out.  Dr. Snitgen also had the switch to turn on the apparatus at the door
to the classroom.  He took the class out in the hall and threw the switch to
see what happened.  After several minutes (I forget how long), they figured
it had not blown up, and went back into the room.

     I would say take careful precautions, build your device carefully, keep
it a little small so the size of a potential explosion is reduced and do it!
 You will generate an enthusiasm for science inside and out of your
classroom like you have never seen.  It will give these kids (as well as any
others they talk to) something they will remember and think about the rest
of their lives!  It might also boost your next years enrollment in the class
too!

Steve Edinger
EdingerS at Mail.OUCOM.OhioU.EDU
Office  (614) 593-9484