Can somebody explain the molecular clock

Ludvig Mortberg lugmog95 at student.umu.se
Thu May 23 17:45:14 EST 1996

and what methods are used in molecular systematics today. I belive
there are a lot of computer programs around and different methods of
determining distance between sequences.

The original suggestion by Linus Pauling and Emile Zuckerkandl was
that each gene changed with it's own constant speed, wasn't it? Is
this still the theory today?

The reason I ask is that I have, unsucessfully, been trying to get a
hold of what the clock is all about. Some people tell me that constant
change has been abandoned years ago and others that it is still the
foundation of molecular systematics.

Can someone develop this?

Ludvig