Is Carl Woese losing a Kingdom?

David Sierra dsierra at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Wed Sep 25 15:22:06 EST 1996

On 24 Sep 1996, James O. McInerney PhD wrote:

[snip]

> As a slight digression, I met Lynn Margulis last month at a conference
> where she gave a keynote address.  She informed us about the five
> kingdom classification scheme.  A funny thing she said to me (after I
> gave my little talk and announced that there were, in fact, Three
> Domains) was, 'Why are you giving precedence to the nuclear-enclosed
> genome, over and above the mitochondrion-enclosed genome.  Eukaryotes
> can in fact be considered to be a particular lineage of bacteria [the
> Alpha-proteobacteria].'

You know I was thinking, its been said that mitocondiria are decendants
of bacteria that found a hospitiable enviornment for their survial in the
cytoplasm of emerging eukaryotes, etc, etc. (Okay, more than said, its
accepted as trueism).  Does anyone know of any studies where attempts
have been made to set up a sutiable mitocondirial enviornment in-vivo and
see if mitocondiria can survive in such an enviornment.

Later,
David Sierra