Is Carl Woese losing a Kingdom?

Jonathan Badger badger at phylo.life.uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 25 12:48:56 EST 1996

lamoran at gpu.utcc.utoronto.ca (L.A. Moran) writes:

>True enough. THe important point about the Science paper is that Woese and
>his colleagues continue to ignore any evidence that conflicts with their
>preferred tree of life. This is a very sad situation.

Can you give an example of this? Unlike many of his critics (such as
Margulis, whose theory of eukaryotic origins have not changed as far
as I can tell since about 1973) Woese has no fixed "preferred tree",
but has an opinion of phylogeny that changes in response to the
available data. For example, when Gogarten rooted the universal tree
in 1988, Woese was an early supporter and quickly abandoned his prior
belief of three independent lineages. Provide good evidence why the
current universal tree of life is wrong, and Woese will be on your
side.