program to detect chimeric pcr artefacts

Bruce J. Turner fishgen at
Wed Dec 3 03:54:58 EST 1997

I would appreciate information on programs to detect chimeric pcr artefacts
that might be formed when amplifying a multigene family with primers
prepared to common conserved regions or upon subsequent cloning of the
amplicons (allowing the host bacteria to repair mismatches in
heteroduplexes formed during pcr)...  I have been reliably informed that
such programs are in use among colleagues using 18S rRNA genes for
evolutionary comparisons, but I have had no success in locating any... Any
help would be much appreciated.

Bruce J. Turner
Dept. Biology
VPISU ("Va Tech")