analysis questions

smallm at PBS.DFO.CA smallm at PBS.DFO.CA
Mon Feb 3 16:13:15 EST 1997

Hello, I am analyzing some microsatellite population data.  I have been
using GENEPOP to calculate Hardy-Weinberg equilibriums.  At one of my
loci I had a few populations show up out of HWE with a p value of 0.000
according to GENEPOP.  I ran CHIHW, another program, to compare the
results with a different method.  These same populations were calculated
as being in HWE with probabilities ranging from 1.0 to 0.96.  Next I tried
CHIHW on a locus with a null allele.  The population I tested had the null
at a frequency of over 50%, 30 observed heterozygotes and 130 expected
heterozygotes and was obviously out of HWE with a p value of 0.000 using
GENEPOP.  CHIHW said the populations was in HWE with a probability of 0.96
yet the Selander D value (probability of the observed hz = expected hz)
was 0.  Has anyone had conflicting results when comparing GENEPOP to CHIHW.
Has anyone had populations out of equilibrium test out within equilibrium
with CHIHW?  I would appreciate any light people can shed on these puzzling
results.
	Thank you,
	Maureen Small