Post Doctoral Position at the NIH

A. V. Furano avf at helix.nih.gov
Mon Feb 3 17:38:08 EST 1997

Post Doctoral Positions At The NIH To Study

The Biological and Evolutionary Properties of the L1 Family of Mammalian
Retrotransposable Elements

All mammalian genomes are host to a family of rapidly evolving and
persistent genomic parasites called L1 (LINE or long interspersed repeated
DNA) elements.  L1 elements are self replicating and occasionally undergo
prodigious amplification events populating the host genome with upwards of
10,000 or more copies of themselves.  We use molecular biological and
molecular evolution techniques to study the regulation and mechanism of L1
replication, and the dynamics of L1 evolution and its effect on the
structure and evolution of the host genome.  We found that at least two
massive L1 amplification events coincided with two speciation / extinction
crises in the rodent fossil record.  In addition, we showed that the DNA
"fossils" of past L1 amplification events provide a seemingly unequivocal
phylogenetic history of rodents, and are now extending this approach to
analyze current problems in primate systematics including the
differentiation of human subpopulations.

Recent mini-review:

   Furano AV and Usdin K (1995) DNA fossils and    phylogenetic analysis.
Using L1 (LINE-1, long   interspersed repeated) DNA to determine the
evolutionary    history of mammals. J Biol Chem 270:25301-24304

This position is available to either U.S. or non-U.S. citizens who have
received their doctorate (Ph.D. or M.D.) within the past 5 years.  A
background in molecular biology is essential.  If you are interested
respond by E-MAIL or regular mail with your CV and bibliography, and a
short paragraph describing your research background, to the following
address:

         Dr. Anthony V. Furano

         avf at helix.nih.gov

            or