analysis questions

Eleftherios Zouros zouros at IS.DAL.CA
Wed Feb 5 07:40:26 EST 1997

Dear Jeff,

I got interested in the heterozygote deficiency at microsatellite loci
recently and have an idea (gloriously rejected by Molecular Ecology as
ill-defended, which was probably true): the probability that a
heterozygote would be (falsely) scored as a homozygote (for the shorter of
the two alleles) is proportional to the size difference of its two
alleles.  I have called this the "short allele dominance".  I still feel
that there might be something useful to this idea (that it may account for
some of the homozygosity excess in microsatellite surveys).  A good thing
about it is that it can be easily rejected. One has simply to plot
allele-specific excess of homozygosity against allele size.  A negative
slope will be good evidence for the hypothesis.  Naturally, I am
interested in what people would see if they did this test.
Best,

Eleftherios (Lefteri) Zouros
Department of Biology
Dalhousie University, Halifax, N. S.