analysis question

smallm at PBS.DFO.CA smallm at PBS.DFO.CA
Thu Feb 6 12:20:53 EST 1997

I am in the process of analyzing some microsatellite population data
and have come up with some puzzling results.  At one locus a few of
my populations came up as out of Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium with a
p value of 0.000 using GENEPOP.  I compared results with CHIHW and these
populations were now in Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium with p values ranging
from 1.0 to 0.96.  I tested CHIHW with a population that I knew was out
of equilibrium since it had a null allele present at 60%, 30 observed
heterozygotes and 130 expected heterozygotes.  CHIHW indicated the population
was also in equilibrium with a p value of 0.96 yet the Selinger's D value
(the probability that the observed heterozygosity equals expected
heterozygosity) was 0.000.  GENEPOP uses a Markov chain randomization and
CHIHW uses a Monte Carlo procedure so I would not expect such differences between
results.  Has anyone compare CHIHW with other programs and gotten contrasting
results? or can anyone explain how these results are possible?
	Thank you, Maureen Small