analysis questions

Dmitri Zaykin zaykin at statgen.ncsu.edu
Thu Feb 6 19:01:48 EST 1997

Jeff Olsen <jolsen at FISH.WASHINGTON.EDU> wrote:
> The question is: does the use of Monte Carlo sampling and the chi-square
> test (rather than computing probabilities) make CHIHW a less reliable test
> of HWE when the potential number of genetypes is large?  Weir cites a
> single study suggesting that's the case (pg 109).

I would not call it "chi-square test", because X2 is used as a measure
of association. Despite the discussion about conditional tests, the
Weir's reference, however (Maiste, 1993), is cited there with respect
of the regular goodness-of-fit chi-square test. "Of course, the
chi-square test is very much simpler to apply".

Dmitri