Codon Bias

Eluem Blyden eblyden at khepera.com
Thu Feb 6 22:47:10 EST 1997

I am interested in codon bias as a combinatorial optimization
problem...in some organisms, "optimal" codon usage appears to be
correlated with the level of gene expression--highly expressed genes use
the optimal codons whereas genes with lower expression use rare codons.
Essentially, I am interested if this pattern results from a complex
optimization process?

Does one need more proof of this than coming up with the question? I
mean, how else could one possibly encode all the temporal and relational
compexity of expressing the right genes at the right place, at the right
time?
The problem with molecular biology is that it insists on having a
central dogma and is actually PROUD of that!!! Codons are context
sensitive, complex repositories of information about 3 different four
dimensional molecules (DNA/RNA/Protein; 4th D = time).  Gene expression
is not only the basis of conciousness it is a kind of conciousness of
its own.

Bias.  What does that mean? How prejudicial can you get? the word you
are looking for is ENTANGLEMENT. "NO DNA makes NO RNA makes NO PROTEIN"
to paraphrase....

Nevertheless, I would be interested to know what references you do find
if you are willing to share them.  Thanks in advance.
--
Eluemuno R. Blyden,PH.D.    Khepera