Mitochondrial DNA self interest

Tracy Blevins tblevins at
Tue Feb 11 14:40:21 EST 1997

I would like to know if mitochondrial DNA has self interests that are
different (even slightly) from germline DNA.  I know that mitochondria
have something of a symbiotic relationship with eukaryotic organisms, but
that doesn't mean that the two DNAs have *exactly* the same interests.

Specifically, in fertilization, since the ova has all the cellular
machinery needed for several rounds of replication and division, I say
that one could conceptualize the cytoplasm of the ova as "environment"
with the competition that is evident in any other kind of environment.

Any ideas?
Tracy Blevins     tblevins at