Mitochondrial DNA self interest

Tracy Blevins tblevins at gsbs3.gs.uth.tmc.edu
Tue Feb 11 14:40:21 EST 1997

I would like to know if mitochondrial DNA has self interests that are
different (even slightly) from germline DNA.  I know that mitochondria
have something of a symbiotic relationship with eukaryotic organisms, but
that doesn't mean that the two DNAs have *exactly* the same interests.

Specifically, in fertilization, since the ova has all the cellular
machinery needed for several rounds of replication and division, I say
that one could conceptualize the cytoplasm of the ova as "environment"
with the competition that is evident in any other kind of environment.

Any ideas?
Tracy Blevins     tblevins at gsbs3.gs.uth.tmc.edu