ortholog and paralog

Laurent Duret duret at acnuc.univ-lyon1.fr
Wed Feb 12 04:06:01 EST 1997

In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.970211174614.5421A-100000 at lovelace.infobiogen.fr>, Pierre Pontarotti <pontaro at lovelace.infobiogen.fr> writes:
>Hello
>I have a semantic question can we say that a gene family in one specie is
>ortholog to the same multigenic family in an other specie
>Thanks
>Piere

Two genes are said to be orthologous if they diverged after a
speciation event, whereas they are said to be paralogous if
they diverged after a duplication event. If I'm not wrong, the original
quotation is by Fitch (1970 Systematic Zoology 19:99-113):

   "Where the homology is the result of gene duplication so that
   both copies have descended side by side during the history of
   an organism, (for example, alpha and beta hemoglobin) the genes
   should be called paralogous (para = in parallel). Where the
   homology is the result of speciation so that the history of the
   gene reflects the history of the species (for example alpha
   hemoglobin in man and mouse) the genes should be called orthologous
   (ortho = exact)."

This is also well explained in books such as "Fundamentals of
molecular evolution" by Li & Graur 1991 Ed. Sinauer Associates, Inc.,
Sunderland, Mass., USA.

What terms should be used where there is a speciation event, followed
by duplication events in both lineages ? For example:

              _________ Rat_gene_1
     Rat     |
     ________X
    |        |_________ Rat_gene_2
---()

    |     _____________ Mouse_gene_1
    |    |
    |____X
   Mouse |_____________ Mouse_gene_2

where () indicates speciation and X indicates gene duplication

According to Fitch's definition, Mouse_gene_1 and Mouse_gene_2 are
paralogous, as are Rat_gene_1 and Rat_gene_2.

But Rat_gene_1 is orthologous both to Mouse_gene_1 and to Mouse_gene_2,
since Rat_gene_1 and the ancestor of the 2 mouse genes diverged
after a speciation event. Hence we have:

Rat_gene_1    is orthologous to Mouse_gene_1 and to Mouse_gene_2
Rat_gene_2    is orthologous to Mouse_gene_1 and to Mouse_gene_2
Mouse_gene_1  is orthologous to Rat_gene_1 and to Rat_gene_2
Mouse_gene_2  is orthologous to Rat_gene_1 and to Rat_gene_2

Hence, it seems acceptable to say the the mouse gene family
(that includes Mouse_gene_1 and Mouse_gene_2) is orthologous
to the rat gene family (Rat_gene_1 and Rat_gene_2).

Note that many molecular biologists confuse "orthology" and
"functional equivalence". For example Koonin et al. (Trends