Sequence editor that can delete columns?

Robert J. Forster ac562 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Feb 26 15:58:34 EST 1997

I have quite a few alignments of 16S rRNA sequences from which I would
like to delete a highly variable region before analysis.  I have used
ClustalX and Seqpup on a mac to produce the alignments. When I select a
block of sequences in seqpup and then hit the Edit clear or cut
functions nothing happens.  I can delete the region one sequence at a
time, but with hundreds of sequences I am searching for an easier way.
I have put GDE on an HP-UX machine and DCSE on Linux, but both of these
installations are not exactly stable, and the documentation for these
programs does not indicate whether the proposed task would be very easy.
If anyone knows of a program that could help me out I would appreciate
some pointers.

Cheers,
Bob Forster
Centre for Food and Animal Research