Mol Evol and Mol Biol dilemma

Marc Robinson robinson at
Fri Jan 17 06:54:09 EST 1997

In article <32DEAB90.5469 at>, Brian Foley <btf at> writes:
>John Demboski wrote:
>a molecular biologist may use the fossil record, and "molecular
>clock" information to look at a bias in mutation rates of
>CpG dinucleotides due to DNA methylation patterns

I would say that someone doing this is a molecular evolutionist.

I would also say that molecular evolution is a young science which
necessitates knowledge from a number of other sciences, such as
molecular biology, population genetics, systematics, etc, but that
it is none of these.

Marc Robinson

UMR CNRS 5558 "Biometrie, Genetique, et Biologie des Populations"
Universite Claude Bernard Lyon 1
43, boulevard du 11 novembre 1918
69622 Villeurbanne cedex

tel : 04 72 44 80 00 - poste 41 43