bootstrapping population trees

C.S. Wilding BGYCSW at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jun 2 07:30:45 EST 1997

Does anyone know if it is correct, and if so how, to
bootstrap population trees from DNA RFLP (and I suppose
sequence) data. OK, you could bootstrap the frequency data
for the haplotypes (its mtDNA data I have) but how could the
genetic distances between haplotypes be incorporated. It
seems I can bootstrap the individual haplotypes, and that I
can bootsrap their frequncies but not link the two.
Specifically I want to see how well supported a tree is built
from mtDNA-RFLP data from populations (approx 10 populations,
10-20 individuals per population). Is bootstrapping possible?
If so- how? If not are there any (better?) alternatives.
Craig.