Newsgroup Moderation Charter - draft #1

James McInerney jamm at nhm.ac.uk
Mon Jun 9 05:15:19 EST 1997

Hi all,

Jerry Learn and I have come up with a draft newsgroup charter.  There is
no charter in existance for this newsgroup (!!), so we had to start from
scratch.  In fairness, Jerry has done most of the work.  The fruits of
our efforts are appended to this message.  Please send us your comments
(post the message to me, so that we don't clutter up the newsgroup).

It has been particularly difficult to define the newsgroup so if you
could expand on this part of the charter, it would be good.  At the
moment is is not complete enough, so please send me any comments that
you have.  I shall make the necessary corrections and post draft #2 next
week.

regards,

James

Information for MOLECULAR-EVOLUTION/bionet.molbio.evolution (moderated)

USENET newsgroup name:  bionet.molbio.evolution

One line Description:   Discussions about research in molecular
evolution.

Moderation address:     mol-evol-moderator at net.bio.net
(bionet-molbio-evolution at net.bio.net is an alias for
mol-evol-moderator at net.bio.net)

Co-moderators:          Jerry Learn and James McInerney

Mailing list name:      MOLECULAR-EVOLUTION

E-mail addresses:       mol-evol at net.bio.net mol-evol at daresbury.ac.uk

Newsgroup charter:    Bionet.molbio.evolution is a forum for scientific
discussions and a source of information for the community of biologists
interested in the study of the processes of how genes and proteins have
evolved.

Functions of the newsgroup:

The newsgroup will facilitate rapid communication among research
scientists, educators and other individuals interested in the study of
molecular evolution. This includes, but is not limited to discussions of
molecular phylogenies, methods of analysis, pointers towards sources of
information, mechanisms of molecular evolution and software discussions.

Finally, the newsgroup will serve as a bulletin board for announcements
of meetings, conferences, job opportunities, and funding sources of
interest to biologists studying molecular evolution.

Subscribers are welcome from universities or any academic institutions,
government agencies, hospitals and other medical institutions, and
industrial or commercial organizations. Contributions within the
functions outlined above are encouraged.

Moderation Policy:

Mass-posted commercial messages, chain letters, and similar postings not
germane to molecular evolution will be deleted without comment. The
newsgroup will not be used to facilitate discussions of a creationist
nature.  Inappropriate messages posted in good faith will be returned to
the sender.  Messages not strictly within the charter but likely to be
of interest to many subscribers will be accepted.

Jerry Learn, Research Associate, University of Washington, Dept. of
Microbiology,

James McInerney, Senior Scientific Officer, Department of Zoology, The
Natural
History Museum, London

=========
James O. McInerney               email: J.mcinerney at nhm.ac.uk
Senior Scientific Officer,       phone: +44 171 938 9247
Department of Zoology,           Fax:   +44 171 938 9158
The Natural History Museum,
Cromwell Road,
London SW7 5BD.
=========