The Punctuated Clock

Andrew Rambaut andrew.rambaut at zoology.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 11 10:42:16 EST 1997

In article <01bc75df$d148d7a0$180819c4 at intekom2968>, "MEV V/D MERWE"
<vdmerwea at intekom.co.za> wrote:

> 1. The fact that evolution takes place is not only relevant to us as
> humans, but to the whole of Ghaia, since it changes the essential make-up
> of all living organisms on earth. Molecular techniques has helped a great
> deal in defining evolution, but we have to see the big picture. Since a
> change in the DNA of an organism results in a change of its phenotype,
> natural forces interact with the phenotype and only indirectly with the
> genotype. Mutations thus occur not as a result of natural selection against
> the DNA of the organism, but against the traits that DNA codes for.

Many mutations in protein coding DNA do not result in a change in amino
acid due to the redundancy of code. Thus these occur despite natural
selection as there is no phenotype to be selected.

Andrew.

  Andrew Rambaut,
  Zoology Department,       EMAIL - Andrew.Rambaut at zoology.ox.ac.uk
  University of Oxford,