progenitor gene

Francois JEANMOUGIN pingouin at crystal.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Jun 11 04:55:32 EST 1997

In article <Pine.3.89.9706061319.A541209189-0100000 at vax.cs.hscsyr.edu>,
	higginss at VAX.CS.HSCSYR.EDU writes:
> Greetings,
>
> Would someone point me towards data or provide opinion on what gene(s)
> is the most ancient and which extant organisms is likely the most ancient.

	Well, I will try to explain it clearly in english (quite
hard for me ;-). There is no ancient gene in living organism and
there is no living organism that is the most ancient. If you
want to find an old gene and an old organism, you have to make
some paleontology. Extant living organism has evolved as long
as you and me, they diverge earlier in evolution (this perhaps
has to be said differently)>
	A living organism, in all phylum, did receive the same
amount of mutations and so the genes in their are also
divergent from the common ancester.

	If one of the good-english-speaking-thinking-like-me guru
can explain it better, I would ne gratefull...

							Francois.
--
Francois Jeanmougin     | groupe de bioinformatique / bioinformatics groupe
tel:(+33) 3 88 65 32 71 | IGBMC BP 163 67404 Illkirch France
e-mail : jeanmougin at igbmc.u-strasbg.fr
"C'est pas parcequ'on monte au banc, qu'il faut descendre a jeun."(Thiefaine)