progenitor gene

Francois JEANMOUGIN pingouin at crystal.u-strasbg.fr
Fri Jun 13 04:51:23 EST 1997

In article <5nmais$n7g at ruacad.runet.edu>,
	rkliman at runet.edu (Richard M Kliman) writes:
[...]
> My apology to the original poster: I'm afraid I've said nothing that will
> help you, or anyone else, identify an extant gene that is most similar to
> the first gene found in a living organism.  I'll leave it to others to
> argue about whether or not an extant organism is most similar to the
> common ancestor of all extant organisms.

	I think I understood what you mean. Perhaps then the original
question can be : Is there species which where placed in such
ecological niche in such selection pressure condition so that
not much mutation can be fixed?
	Do you have any idea of an ecological niche or organism
that will fit this question?

	Well, if I could ask the question, I can't answer ;-).

							Francois.
--
Francois Jeanmougin     | groupe de bioinformatique / bioinformatics groupe
tel:(+33) 3 88 65 32 71 | IGBMC BP 163 67404 Illkirch France
e-mail : jeanmougin at igbmc.u-strasbg.fr
"C'est pas parcequ'on monte au banc, qu'il faut descendre a jeun."(Thiefaine)