progenitor gene

Francois JEANMOUGIN pingouin at crystal.u-strasbg.fr
Fri Jun 20 07:50:15 EST 1997

In article <33A96244.558F at uconnvm.uconn.edu>,
	"J. Peter Gogarten" <Gogarten at UConnVM.UConn.edu> writes:
> Extreme thermophiles appear to have lower substitution rates in their
> rRNA genes. [...]
> The other questions is which molecules evolve slower than others.[...]
> `	Peter Gogarten

	Thanks for this tips, I just though about the stability of
the proteins from thermophiles organism after my post. Of course
it is a selection pressure that do not only "affect" the activity but
all the protein itself.

	In an other hand, I find difficult to say that there are
less mutations regarding the same time of evolution without knowing
what was the original protein. I saw some papers about statistics (i
Think Joe can clarify this for me, thanks Joe) which allow you to
say that those positions are more conserved regarding the same
time of evolution.
	Of course I find the hypothesis good, but I can't see
how you can prove it (I'm sorry, I'm not a specialized phylogenetician,
I'm just a sympathizer ;-).

						Francois.
--
Francois Jeanmougin     | groupe de bioinformatique / bioinformatics groupe
tel:(+33) 3 88 65 32 71 | IGBMC BP 163 67404 Illkirch France
e-mail : jeanmougin at igbmc.u-strasbg.fr
"C'est pas parcequ'on monte au banc, qu'il faut descendre a jeun."(Thiefaine)