What is the most common genetic abnormally?

David G. Kitaguchi help at nospam.gdb.org
Thu Jun 26 09:06:05 EST 1997

In article <5of4nb$23q at knot.queensu.ca>, 3eac at qlink.queensu.ca (Chase Emma Lee A) writes:
>Andrew Goldfinger (Andy.Goldfinger at jhuapl.edu) wrote:
>: In article
>: <Pine.A41.3.95b.970616104123.22810B-100000 at dante27.u.washington.edu> Ryan
>: Maves, smithers at u.washington.edu writes:
>: >On 16 Jun 1997, Andrew Goldfinger wrote:
>: >
>: >> >>What is the most common genetic abnormally?
>: >>
>: >> Lactose intolerance?
>: >
>: >Hard to call it an abnormality, since more people worldwide have it than
>: >don't.
>:
>: Lack of lactose intolerance?
>
>	Esp. when drinking cow's milk is "abnormal". It is meant for baby
>	calves, not human consumption.
>

>	Emma
>	Queen's Univ.

One question here is, "What is abnormal?"  Aside from that, I would argue a few points about
Lactose intolerance, that is, there is no one thing or defect that can be categorized as
lactose intolerance.  There are many things which may be considered lac. int., GDB (Genome
Data Base) has two genes SI and LCT (GDB:120377 and GDB:120140) listed that have lactose
intolerance listed as phenotypes.  There are probably more things which are considered as
being lactose (disaccharide) intolerant without being a genetic varianct of some sort.

Regards,
David Kitaguchi - help at gdb.org - http://gdbwww.gdb.org