Jurassic park lecture

harley at chempath.uct.ac.za harley at chempath.uct.ac.za
Mon Mar 3 17:23:58 EST 1997

In article <3312F12D.5AF0 at biol.rug.nl> Maarten van Roosmalen <M.L.van.Roosmalen at biol.rug.nl> writes:
>From: Maarten van Roosmalen <M.L.van.Roosmalen at biol.rug.nl>
>Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.evolution
>Subject: Jurassic park lecture
>Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 15:03:25 +0100
In addition to  the Cano papers are those by especially Rob de
Salle, who is a thoroughly rigorous biochemist who has some really good data
on cretaceous insects in amber, and he dosnt overhype his claims. Svante Paabo
has many papers, generally on less ancient material (e.g. Nature 340(1989)465,
and many subsequently), a recent paper by Ed Golenberg (PNAS 93 (1996) 1190)
elevated the activity from a "gee-wiz - look I've got the oldest" game to a
genuinely valuable application to resolve an interesting phylogenetic problem,
and is well worth a look. You are aware, I presume, of Russel Higuchi's early
pioneering work in the days before PCR when he used brute force techniques to
achieve the first successful cloning of ancient DNA (from the quagga).
Many reports probably only describe contaminating recent DNA. My crowning
achievement was to get 100% perfect mouse DNA from a piece of extinct Bluebuck
(Hippotragus leucophaeus) skin...