Jurassic park lecture

Anthonie Muller awjm at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
Mon Mar 3 10:56:38 EST 1997

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Bryan L. Ford wrote:

> Blarne Flinkard wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Maarten van Roosmalen wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 'Could you search the internet for more information on ancient
> > > DNA sequencing and retrieving DNA from insects captured in amber?'

When I read all this talk about DNA conservation in amber, I must always
think about H.J.Dombrowski, who  claimed to have isolated bacteria from
old salt deposits (see for instance Umschau 23 (1965) 736-736). It seems
to me that a high salt concentration may very well protect against all
kind of degrading effects.

Why is his work ignored? Have I missed an obvious counterargument?

Ton Muller
The Thermosynthesis Home Page
http://www.ed.ac.uk/~awjm