How to draw portions of a phylogenetic tree?

Robert J. Forster ac562 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Mar 6 10:39:38 EST 1997

Dear molbio.evolution newsgroup readers:
I have now sorted out my problem related to sequence editing and
columns.  As a result I have produced some beautiful and very large
trees.  I now have another problem that I hope the knowledgeable and
generous members of this newsgroup can help me with.  I would like to
produce some slides containing portions or subtrees of my overall tree.
I can easily display the subtrees in phylo_win, but there seems to be no
way to save them.  I tried moving the tree file to my linux machine,
breaking down the tree with Treetool (which worked although the program
crashed after every merge node command), then saving the result as a
pict file, taking the pict file to my mac and, unfortunately, none of my
graphics programs thought it was a pict file.  I then saved the tree
from treetool as a postscript file, and converted it to a pict file
(using TScript).  This worked but the quality of the result was rather
poor.

Is there an easy way to display and save portions of a tree?  I thought
about editing the Newick tree file directly but after I looked at it I
changed my mind. On whole trees I usually use Treeview on the mac to
display the tree, save the tree as a pict file, bring the pict into
Clarisworks, ungroup the pict and then edit the labels. This works very
well.  Is there an equivalent for subtrees?

TIA

Bob Forster
Centre for Food and Animal Research
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada