How to draw portions of a phylogenetic tree?

Ed Rybicki ed at MOLBIOL.UCT.AC.ZA
Fri Mar 7 07:29:26 EST 1997

> From:          ac562 at freenet.carleton.ca (Robert J. Forster)
> Subject:       How to draw portions of a phylogenetic tree?

> ...I would like to produce some slides containing portions or
> subtrees of my overall tree. ... Is there an easy way to display
> and save portions of a tree?

If you are working on a PC, and you have TreeView, note that it
allows you to save trees as *.wmf files - which can be sucked into
such as Corel Draw, with lines recognisable as such and all text
editable.  This means you can delete selected portions of your tree
with no hassle at all, simply by selecting them and pressing
"Delete".  I routinely prune and play with TreeView generated trees
like this - Corel will also let you suck in PICT files and do
similar.

                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
      Dept Microbiology     |   ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
   University of Cape Town  | rybicki at uctvms.uct.ac.za
   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  phone: x27-21-650-3265
      7700, South Africa    |   fax: x27-21-689 7573
    WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ed.html

    "Out here on the perimeter, there are no stars..."