c.elegans phylogeny

Nicolas Le Novere lenov at pasteur.fr
Fri Mar 14 05:09:26 EST 1997

In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.970303181246.9511D-100000 at lovelace.infobiogen.fr>, Pierre Pontarotti <pontaro at lovelace.infobiogen.fr> writes:
|> HelloI am writing a paper concerning C.elegans, Drosophila and vetebrate
|> genomes. I am llooking for a reference, showing that drosophilma are
|> closer one to an other than they are with C.elegans. (what is the place of
|> pseudicoelomate on the tree of life)
|> Thank you
|> Pierre
|>
|> Pierre Pontarotti
|> INSERM U119
|> 27 bd Lei Roure
|> 13009 Marseille
|> France
|> Tel: (33) 91 75 84 08
|> Fax: (33) 91 26 03 64
|> email: pontaro at infobiogen.fr

The standard "classification" is

pseudocoelomata
	nematoda
coelomata
	protostomata
		insecta
	deuterostomata
		vertebrata

However, first of all, pseudocoelomata are certainly not a monophyletic group,
and then, its components could be of different origin.
But te main point is the origin of the pseudocoelom: "non-achieved" structure
or degeneration (due to the way of life of these animals, often parasits).
My personnal trees (about the ligand-gated ion channel subunits) always
presented the following phylogeny:

	|--------insecta (Drosophila, Schistocera)
|-------|
|	|--------nematoda (Caenorhabditis, Onchocerca)