how fast are genes?

Paul Z. Myers myers at netaxs.com
Mon Mar 17 19:57:26 EST 1997

In article <5gjupd$rd2 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, Johnjoe McFadden
<j.mcfadden at surrey.ac.uk> wrote:

> Does anybody know how fast genetic information may be transcribed and then
> translated, in prokaryotes and eukaryotes?

A quick look at my old edition of Strickberger has a couple of representative
numbers: in E. coli, transcription of one enzyme at 37 deg. C was about
28 nucleotides/sec; 30 ribosomes then translate the message at about
7 AA/sec each. He gives several other examples to illustrate the range,
but it looks like these events are fairly fast, on the order of several
minutes.

> A related question is how much time needs to elapse from a mutation to a
> phenotype?

Whatever the generation time of the organism happens to be.

These are pretty easy answers to pull out of just about any reasonable
genetics/mol bio textbook...why do you ask?

--
Paul Myers
http://fishnet.bio.temple.edu/