SEQUIN

Brian Foley btf at t10.lanl.gov
Wed Mar 19 14:29:18 EST 1997

Dear Sequencers,

	Yesterday I tried the UNIX (Solaris) version of
SEQUIN, from the NCBI FTP site.  I was a bit frustrated in
my first attempts at using it.  It had a problem redrawing
graphical scrrens.
	Today I downloaded the Mac version onto a POWER Mac
and it works great.  I am not enough of a programmer to
know why the screen redrawing routines in the software
perform so much better on one platform vs. the other.
All I can say is that if you want to use SEQUIN today,
and find it slow on a UNIX box, you should consider trying
the Mac version instead.
	This latest version of SEQUIN allows one to
annotate one sequence, and then propagate all of the
annotation onto other similar (presumably homologous)
sequences.  So once you have one example of your gene or
organism of interest annotated, it maps all of the
features onto other examples/isolates.  Very handy
both for submitting large batches of sequences to
the databases, and for viewing your won annotated
sequences.

|Brian T. Foley               btf at t10.lanl.gov                       |
|HIV Database                 (505) 665-1970                         |
|Los Alamos National Lab      http://hiv-web.lanl.gov/index.html     |
|Los Alamos, NM 87544  U.S.A. http://www.t10.lanl.gov/~btf/home.html |