Evolution or Creation? You Decide :)

Rob Miller rmiller at house.med.und.ac.za
Mon Mar 24 04:49:48 EST 1997

Joe Potter wrote:

>         As Niles Eldredege points out in "Reinventing Darwin" on page 217, if
> nature is organized around the compulsion to leave as many copies of one's
> genes --- why in the heck did the mixing of genes on a 50-50 basis arise???

I suggest you read up on a computational search technique called
a "genetic algorithm".  They are very simple and easy to program,
but if you have no background in programing it should also be
easy to locate a free package on the net.  Once you have a GA
set up and working for a test case, try it with and without
`sexual' mixing of genes and see which way produces a healthy
population for a given `fitness function' faster.

						rob.

Robert T. Miller, Ph.D.
rmiller at house.med.und.ac.za

Manager - Durban Satellite - South African National Bioinformatics
Institute

Faculty of Medicine / Dept of Virology / University of Natal
Private Bag 7 / Congella 4013 / Durban / South Africa
phone +27 (031) 3603743                     fax +27 (031) 3603744 or
2604441