Evolution or Creation? You Decide :)

Joe Potter joe.potter at worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 26 18:52:02 EST 1997

Rob,

(jp)
> >         As Niles Eldredege points out in "Reinventing Darwin" on page
217, if
> > nature is organized around the compulsion to leave as many copies of
one's
> > genes --- why in the heck did the mixing of genes on a 50-50 basis
arise???

> I suggest you read up on a computational search technique called
> a "genetic algorithm".  They are very simple and easy to program,
> but if you have no background in programing it should also be
> easy to locate a free package on the net.  Once you have a GA
> set up and working for a test case, try it with and without
> `sexual' mixing of genes and see which way produces a healthy
> population for a given `fitness function' faster.

	Why would I do this??? I did not write that Dr. Eldredge claimed that
meiosis was inferior to mitosis, as he did not claim this. I wrote that he
asks why meiosis arose IF the game is for the genes to make as many copies
of themselves as possible.

	By the way, I'm sure you know this is a large controversy in the
Ultra-Darwinist camp, why pretend it is not????

	Regards, Joe