Time to change the newsgroup name?

James McInerney J.McInerney at nhm.ac.uk
Thu May 1 05:20:10 EST 1997

Dear all,

I think the time is ripe again to have a discussion about our newsgroup
name.  The last time we mentioned this subject was about last July.  At
the time, I objected to the suggestion, mainly on the grounds that (1)
the creationists usually go away and (2) changing our name might get too
restrictive.

I have had a 180 degree turn-around on my way of thinking.  The
creationists are not going away and their threads go on and on forever
(remember the one about the age of the earth?).  And secondly, given
that most scientists recognise the word 'phylogeny' and would recognise
that this might be a good forum to ask general evolution questions, I
think we should change the name of the newsgroup to:

bionet.molbio.phylogeny

or some such.  It pains me to think that it has come to this, but a
bloody creationist debate EVERY WEEK....

I'm not hung-up on the name that I have suggested, but the word
'evolution' has to go!

What does everybody else think?

regards,

James
--
=========
James O. McInerney               email: J.mcinerney at nhm.ac.uk
Senior Scientific Officer,       phone: +44 171 938 9247
Department of Zoology,           Fax:   +44 171 938 9158
The Natural History Museum,
Cromwell Road,
London SW7 5BD.
=========