Time to change the newsgroup name?

Ed Rybicki ed at MOLBIOL.UCT.AC.ZA
Fri May 2 02:41:15 EST 1997

> From:          James McInerney <J.McInerney at nhm.ac.uk>
> Subject:       Time to change the newsgroup name?

> I think the time is ripe again to have a discussion about our newsgroup
> name. ...
> I'm not hung-up on the name that I have suggested, but the word
> 'evolution' has to go!

Why?  We are not all going to talk about phylogenies, and the forum
is well named WHEN PEOPLE STICK TO SCIENCE.

Why should we abandon the word evolution out of fear of a bunch of
jerks?

bionet.virology is now moderated to get away from "tell me everything
you know about Ebola" type of posts.  Let us get this one moderated
similarly.

                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
      Dept Microbiology     |   ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
   University of Cape Town  | rybicki at uctvms.uct.ac.za
   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  phone: x27-21-650-3265
      7700, South Africa    |   fax: x27-21-689 7573
    WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ed.html

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time..."