Time to change the newsgroup name?

Louis van de Zande L.P.W.G.M.van.de.Zande at biol.rug.nl
Fri May 2 05:16:47 EST 1997

> > I think the time is ripe again to have a discussion about our newsgroup
> > name. ...
> > I'm not hung-up on the name that I have suggested, but the word
> > 'evolution' has to go!
>
> Why?  We are not all going to talk about phylogenies, and the forum
> is well named WHEN PEOPLE STICK TO SCIENCE.
>
> Why should we abandon the word evolution out of fear of a bunch of
> jerks?
>
> bionet.virology is now moderated to get away from "tell me everything
> you know about Ebola" type of posts.  Let us get this one moderated
> similarly.

I agree. Molecular, biololgy and evolution are the keywords for this
group. No point in changing that. Moderation is an option but
requires time and energy. The best thing perhaps is still deleting the
unwanted messages as soon as you recognize them as unwanted. This may
consume more time (cumulative) but has the advantage that it is
spread out over the entire group. Anyway, there have been many
suggestions in the recent past as to the identification of junk mail.
Another good measure would be: let's stick to MOLECULAR EVOLUTION
ourselves. No matter how provocative or interesting a topic would
seem, take it somewhere else if it does not fit. This will take away
the suggestion that there is room in this group for discussing life
the universe and everything.

Louis van de Zande