fast-evolving markers in prokaryotes

Diane R. Stothard, Ph.D. dstothar at
Fri May 2 14:43:56 EST 1997

Hi again,

Unfortunately, I forgot that my e-mail address has changed, so if any of
you have tried to respond to me re: my post on fast-evolving molecular
markers for intracellular bacteria, I have not received your reply. My
new address should now be above, if you would like to try again.
(dstothar at

My original post was along the lines of:

I am looking for a fast-evolving molecular marker to use in the study of
population structure between strains of an obligate intracellular
prokaryote.  I have tried a surface antigen and it is not fast enough.
I thought about the 16S-23S intergenic spacer, but I was not sure if it
would be any faster. RAPDs are out of the question due to host-cell
contamination. If you have any suggestions, please contact me directly.