Time to change the newsgroup name?

Anthonie Muller awjm at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
Fri May 2 13:18:39 EST 1997

On 1 May 1997, Joe Felsenstein wrote:

> In article <5ka2t5$63r at news.u-strasbg.fr>,
> Francois JEANMOUGIN <jeanmougin at igbmc.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
> >In article <5k9qoq$22h at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>,
> >	James McInerney <J.McInerney at nhm.ac.uk> writes:

[snip]

> >	I suggested this to Joe last year, because I'm already losing
> >lot of tiome on news, and when I go in such of my favorite newsgroup,
> >I'm a little bit disapointed that the only messages available are not
> >about molecular biology of evolution, but religion
> >... Another soution could be a moderator...

[deleted]

  it is clearly now time
> to moderate this newsgroup, so the creationist debaters can go back to
> talk.origins where their discussion properly belongs.

> I don't think that calling it "bionet.molbio.phylogeny" (I am using the US
> forms of the newsgroup names) would have any effect on the creationists
> as they ignore the "molbio" in the newsgroup name anyway and post lots of
> stuff that is not related to molecules at all.
>
> I do not have time to be the moderator.  Do we have a volunteer?  When we do,
> we can get the process started.   Until then our bandwidth will continue
> to be monopolized by that same innocent student and that same old set
> of questions.
>
> --
> Joe Felsenstein         joe at genetics.washington.edu     (IP No. 128.95.12.41)
>  Dept. of Genetics, Univ. of Washington, Box 357360, Seattle, WA 98195-7360 USA

Hi Joe

I am working on a thermodynamic origin of life model, and I am
therefore very annoyed by all the false noise made by the creationists.

Obviously no one will have the time to act as moderator. On the other had
it should not be too difficult to do it if the work was split in many
parts: it is easy to smell a creatinist.
How about setting up a rotation system? If you have enough
volunteers moderation  should not be such an effort at all. We could
simply start with making a list of people that we know personally, and
than hand over the job each of them for say two weeks. Even if a creationist
slips in, it should be easy to weed him out, and the 'damage' should only
be temporary.

Most creationists seem to be Americans. Is it somehow possible to moderate
American messages only? Or to moderate only those messages send out at
normal American working times?

Anthonie Muller

The Thermosynthesis Home Page
http://www.ed.ac.uk/~awjm