Name change

D. Garrigan dgarriga at u.washington.edu
Fri May 2 12:02:05 EST 1997

Hello folks,
You know I just recently subscribed to this newsgroup in order to hear what my
peers (and beyond) were currently working on/thinking about, but I've yet
to participate due to the fact that no interesting topic has drawn me in.
If changing the name of this news group would make talk about molecular
phylogenies a more frequent phenomenon, so be it!

One topic I'd be interested in hearing about is data set partitioning.
For example if you had a sequence of ribosomal RNA or an exon/intron
sequence, what is the best way to partition the data in order to
reconstruct the best-possible phylogeny?  Is congruence between
partitioned data sets as essential as the literature would have us
believe?  Or, how can we best estimate the variation in substitution rates
among sites?  Obviously, in recent years there have been many tests to
determine the best estimates to the questions above, yet are all the
assumptions of these tests realistic (or can we even tell if they are
realistic?)?  I'd be interested to hear the approach other people take to
this currently unresolved issue.

Anyhow, just some general questions to try and get something started.

Cheers,
Dan Garrigan
dgarriga at u.washington.edu
University of Washington