Does AI imply AL ? (Re: A possible definition of life.)

Larry Yaeger spammers at should.all.go.die
Tue May 6 22:08:52 EST 1997

[I apoligize if this shows up twice.  In a reply to an article on
comp.ai.alife, I tried to cross-post to comp.ai.genetic, but it didn't
seem to take, so I'm now posting this directly to comp.ai.genetic.  -
larryy]

In article <5kl9jq$giq$1 at toralf.uib.no>, s731 at lstud.ii.uib.no wrote:
> :Does artifical intelligence imply artifical life ?

An interesting question.  You should take a look at the "A possible
definition of life" thread on comp.ai.genetic (c.a.g).  (And I'm
cross-posting there, because of that connection.)

You'd really have to carefully define your terms, and that just for the
duration of the discussion, because the general definition of the terms
are very much open to debate and change over time.  But, avoiding all that
and jumping right in...

I think the answer is yes, and it says a couple of important things about
both AI and ALife fields of study.