behavior in evolution

Shellback burnett.33 at
Thu May 8 11:30:48 EST 1997

In article <MPG.ddb71f53d1d0a9f989682 at> cesium at ( Dennis Mitton) writes:
>From: cesium at ( Dennis Mitton)
>Subject: Re: behavior in evolution
>Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 06:16:05 -0700

>In article <863082947.28820 at>, hefeng at says...
>> I read the article "Introduction to Evolutionary Biology" by Chris Colby
>> It mentioned how certain species of bat share food among a group so that
>> the whole group will benefit and survive better.
>> But does this kind of behavior have anything to do with the genes? If all
>> of the sudden the bats realise that if they help one another during
>> shortage of food they will all have a better chance of survival, is this
>> also considered evolution?
>> This is more like some kind of knowledge.

>Though many rodents are undeniably intellegent (my pet rats, for example)
>I think that it's highly unlikely that bats sharing food is a thought out
>behaviour undertaken to save the group, and themselves, during food
>shortages. Then again, how related are bat groups? Sounds like kin
>selection as a possible explanation - not thinking.
>Dennis Mitton
>Pacific Luthern University
>mittondr at
>cesium at

Just a minor correction, and forgive me if I sound a trifle irritated, but...
bats are *NOT* rodents!
As for this type of food sharing, the only example I can think of off hand
is the sharing of blood done by vampire bats. In this case, I believe that
it is thought to be a case of reciprocal altruism, i.e. a particular bat will
share food with its roostmate and that the favor will be returned in the
future if necessary...I have at least a couple of refs on this, but I don't
have them right at hand...let me know if you'd like to read them.