Time to change the newsgroup name?

Anthonie Muller awjm at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
Fri May 9 11:38:28 EST 1997


On Sat, 3 May 1997, PZ Myers wrote:

> In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.970502190150.26959A-100000 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk>,
> Anthonie Muller <awjm at holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> 
> [several snips]

> > Hi Joe
> > 

> > Most creationists seem to be Americans. Is it somehow possible to moderate 
> > American messages only? Or to moderate only those messages send out at
> > normal American working times? 
> > 
> 
> Ooh, that's an ugly bit of parochialism -- I thought only us Americans
> could be that insensitive to other nationalities :-)
> 
> I also don't like the idea to set up an "in" group, a list of acceptable
> authors -- that's a good way to weed out novel ideas. The only way to do
> this is to have a liberal moderator who allows most of the posts through,
> but only weeds out the most blatant examples of content-free nonsense, be
> they American, British, German, or whatever (and I acknowledge that most
> will be American...but I think you'll also find that there are a few
> intelligent posters on this side of the Atlantic, too).
> 
> -- 
> Paul Z. Myers
> http://fishnet.bio.temple.edu/
> 

Hi Paul

Hope that I did not hurt your patriotic feelings ... ;-)

The problem with these creationists is that they are such a bore, and that
they do not have anything original to say.

Here in Scotland I often listen to a program on the morning radio in which
priests, rabbis, imams or whatever give a message of the day: this is
allmost allways done with wit, intelligence and style, and I enjoy
listening to it, even if I do not agree to their message. 
The messages of the creationists are however ugly. Some American
religious leaders seem not to be afraid to assume ridiculous positions: on
the contrary, I get the impression that they enjoy doing it, as they will
get more attention as a result. You can say a lot about the Pope, but at
least he takes care to avoid ridicule.    

Of course there are some ( if fact, of course, a lot : is that
what you want to hear ? :-) ) intelligent postings at your side of the
Atlantic as well. 

Maybe we are only lucky here that the fundamentals have not found the
internet yet. On the other hand I think that here in Europe public
expressions of religious feelings are considered with distaste.
With Americans I have the feeling that if they are overtly religious they
implicitly want to show that they can be trusted somehow, 'that they are
not a crook', that they are decent, non-sinners. Here in Europe very few
religious people will admit that religious people are better, more
reliable than nonbelievers- religion seems to be more like a personal
thing. If you say here 'I am not a crook', everyone will take a close look
at you.

Anyway, the creationists are a pest. They of course have the right to
express their opinion, but they do not have the right to obstruct or
hinder evolutionists, and that is what they are doing now. 

Cheers

Anthonie Muller
The Thermosynthesis Home Page
http://www.ed.ac.uk/~awjm





More information about the Mol-evol mailing list