Outgroups and polarized character states

newsmgr at merrimack.edu newsmgr at merrimack.edu
Mon Nov 3 16:09:16 EST 1997

Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.evolution
Subject: Outgroups and polarized character states
From: "Tortoise" <rvarhol at dockside.co.za>
Date: 3 Nov 1997 20:53:40 GMT

Hi,

Can anyone give me insight as to how an outgroup can polarize my data set
which is obtained from a monophyletic study group? I am aware that the
choice of an outgroup is crucial in that it must be too distantly or too
closely related to the ingroup, but how exactly will the out group polarize
the character states?

Thanks for your time

Richard