Grad. Student Positions Available at USU

Jim Fry jdfry at bioserver.vsb.usu.edu
Thu Nov 20 12:57:49 EST 1997

Graduate Studies in Evolutionary Quantitative Genetics

Positions are available in my laboratory for MS and PhD students
interested in evolutionary quantitative genetics, ecological genetics,
or related subjects.

Currently, in NSF-funded work, we are measuring rates and properties of
spontaneous mutations affecting fitness traits in Drosophila
melanogaster, and mapping genetic factors causing genotype-environment
interaction for fitness in Drosophila populations.  The goal is to
understand the forces maintaining genetic variation for fitness traits
in this species.  Students could work on an aspect of one of these
projects, or develop a different project on Drosophila or another
organism.  Students interested in the evolutionary genetics of host use
in phytophagous insects, or the genetic management of small populations,
are encouraged to apply.

RA and TA support is available, for a minimum of four years for a
qualified Ph.D. student.

Utah State University is a Carnegie Research I institution.  The Biology
Department has over 45 faculty members, with diverse interests ranging
from animal behavior to molecular biology.

More information on Utah State University, the Biology Department, and
my research program can be found by visiting the Biology Department web
site at http://www.biology.usu.edu/ , or by contacting me at the address
below.

James D. Fry
Assistant Professor