Evolution and Environmentalism

Dylan NICHOLSON dnich at cat.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Sep 4 18:02:13 EST 1997

Tracy Maurer <tmaurer at ameritech.net> writes:

>to say our technology makes us immune to any of these factors is
>nonsense. what technology? developed by whom? who pays for it? where do
>the raw materials come from? who has access to it?

The technology does not exist yet, but given our current rate of development,
provided we don't go extinct first (I personally consider this somewhat
unlikely), it is almost inevitable that it will ultimately enable us to be
more or less 'immune' to these factors. Already we are the only species
that can survive in a vacuum, at extremely high altitudes and extremely
high speeds.

As to who pays for it, well that is a valid question. I believe however that
once our environment does severely threaten our survival (which will happen
through our own actions) the money to pay for life saving technology will
be there.

The raw materials can come from anywhere...mostly from our own planet,
the energy mostly from the sun.

Who has access it? Unfortunately it will not be everyone, and thus significant
portions of our race almost definitely WILL die out, not a thought I enjoy
holding, as ultimately it will be the fault of Western society and
industrialization.

Dylan

..yes I *do* know how to write signature files, but I just can't be
bothered really...