Evolution and Environmentalism

Edward Birge edward.birge at asu.edu
Thu Sep 4 18:23:03 EST 1997

Kermit Duncan wrote:

>>{Material Deleted}
> Why can't anyone convince me that there are serious problems with society?
> I'm open minded and all, but I can't find any good arguements...
>
> Kermit Duncan
The issue that I'd like to see addressed is not so much whether there
are serious problems with society as with our growing dependence on
technological status quo. We are using technology to avoid the
consequences of numerous things (see earlier postings in this thread)
such as genetic disease, microbial disease, etc. The hidden assumption
in this society, however, is that nothing will happen to disrupt it.
However we have all seen cases where weather phenomena, terrorism, and
other unforeseen events have broken down society's technology for longer
or shorter periods. When such breakdowns occur, natural selection
returns with a vengence, and if technology was the only thing keeping
you alive, then you're selected against.
--
Edward Birge, Chair
Department of Microbiology