Evolution and Environmentalism

Dylan NICHOLSON dnich at cat.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Sep 4 19:14:03 EST 1997

John Alway <jalway at icsi.net.SpamTransmogrifier> writes:

>	  If anyone wants to know why environmentalism is
>	evil at its core, just read Tracy's posting.  Its
>	misanthropic tone, and utter disregard for the
>	evidence is unmistakable.

Ah...but IS it misanthropic? To me it seems horribly anthropocentric, because
environmentalists with those views are essentially saying that they, as humans,
have the right to judge what is best for nature. By why are humans so special
that they should make this judgement? Surely nature as a whole should make
this judgement? And if so, then nature would punish very harshly if we DID
protect all other species at the expense of our own. I personally think
nature is a much better judge of what is best for it than the minds of a
few indivuals of a particular species (that are, none the less, a part of
nature) - the evidence is simply the beauty, complexity and amazing capacity
to survive that nature displays!

Dylan
..yes I *do* know how to write signature files, but I just can't be
bothered really...