Evolution and Intelligence (Technology) was Evolution and Environmentalism

Archie Portis arportis at uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 9 16:12:41 EST 1997

This is a quite an interesting tread, but I think the issue is quite
broader than Environmentalism.  Man might be considered an evolutionary
experiment with individual intelligence (or technology in particular).
I would like to see more discussion of this issue.

I believe Julian Huxley (1957) as quoted in J.R. Harlan's "Crops and
Man", sums it up quite nicely:

"It is as if man had been appointed managing director of the biggest
business of all, the business of evolution... whether he is conscious of
what he is doing or not, he in in point of fact determining the future
direction of evolution on this earth.  That is his inescapable destiny,
and the sooner he realizes it and starts believing in it, the better for
all concerned."