Evolution and Intelligence (Technology) was Evolution and Environmentalism

SPUNIUN at prodigy.net SPUNIUN at prodigy.net
Tue Sep 9 15:06:40 EST 1997

Archie Portis wrote:

> I believe Julian Huxley (1957) as quoted in J.R. Harlan's "Crops and
> Man", sums it up quite nicely:
>
> "It is as if man had been appointed managing director of the biggest
> business of all, the business of evolution... whether he is conscious of
> what he is doing or not, he in in point of fact determining the future
> direction of evolution on this earth.  That is his inescapable destiny,
> and the sooner he realizes it and starts believing in it, the better for
> all concerned."

  Hmmm... I have some troubles realizing that argument.  Simply because
evolution has selected for humanity to have this intensely complex system of
electronic activity that allows us to step back and perceive ourselves, does
not put us in control of that which has brought us here.

It really depends on what side you are looking at the issue:  viewing from
beginning we seem to have this volition in where our environment's evolution
is heading toward; but looking from the end, nature has selected everything
for its strongest possible course - "inside" help plainly isn't a factor.

                                - Peter -