Evolution and Environmentalism

Dylan NICHOLSON dnich at cat.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Sep 10 01:34:25 EST 1997

Tracy Maurer <tmaurer at ameritech.net> writes:

>> Ah...but IS it misanthropic? To me it seems horribly anthropocentric, because
>> environmentalists with those views are essentially saying that they, as humans,
>> have the right to judge what is best for nature.

>i intended to say no such thing - in fact, quite the opposite.

I wasn't intending to imply you personally. But I still believe many 'deep
ecologists' who insist on other species 'intrinsic worth' and right to
survive despite human behaviour, are being hypocritical. It is simpler to
accept that nature 'knows' what it best for itself, and nature consists of
selfish species. Therefore we should value nature for purely selfish reasons,
which include the positive emotions we experience from enjoying it. W.F.
Baxter has argued this quite convincingly in 'People or Penguins', an article
that appears in 'Planet in Peril', and his views make a marked and welcome
contrast to many of the other righteous but ultimately hypocritical views
of other writers in the same volume.

Dylan

..yes I *do* know how to write signature files, but I just can't be
bothered really...