Theory of Evolution of Eukaryotes, Crossing Over, and Sex

Rob Alba robalba at DOGWOOD.BOTANY.UGA.EDU
Mon Sep 15 09:05:13 EST 1997

Dear Dr. Howard,

What do you know about the localization of DHEA in eukaryotic cells?  Has
it ever been unequivocally localized to the nucleus?  Has it been shown to
associate with chromosomes and/or DNA?  My confusion about some of your
hypotheses stems from the fact that steroids are primarily hydrophobic and
I've always thought of DNA as primarily hydrophilic.  Is DHEA amphipathic?
Do we know what the partition coefficient of DHEA is?  Although I know
little about the molecule DHEA, my suspicion is that this steroid spends
most of its molecular time partitioned in the plasma and organellar
membranes of eukaryotic cells.

Am I missing something here?

Rob Alba